Sunday 20 July 2014

Race Review - Long Eaton 5 Mile - 20th July 2014

Due to this race being the optimum distance from my house and at the optimum time, I was able to have a great cycle ride through quite roads, disused train lines, and canal tow paths.

I arrived with plenty of time to lock up my bike pick up my race pack and get changed. The ever ubiquitous and helpful Derby Runner stall, or was it Nottingham Runner? Seeing as we are in the contested zone, with Nottinghamshire Postcodes, and Nottinghamshire phone numbers. But I guess we are on the Derbyshire side of the river Erewash so it must have been The Derby Runner!

Right that's this weeks geography lesson out the way, time for PE! I pottered about saying hello to the usual faces at local races and lined up near the start. Just before the gun went my sister told me to keep right and take the racing line on the first bend. Huh? Last week I was buying trainers because they match my socks and now my sister is talking race tactics for the starting pistol? Next thing you know I'll be doing my nails and she'll be growing a beard! I took her advice and went off like a scolded cat and kept the inside track into the first corner.

This was going to be a fast race and I was happy to be near the front of the pack and just settle into a steadying pace. The 16km cycle ride to this race hadn't effected my energy levels but had worked my leg muscles hard. So it was odd for my legs to be hurting this early on in a race. But this was a new challenge and I was quite enjoying it. As we exited the park and onto the streets of Long Eaton, the marshals were out in full force giving great encouragement and direction. The hardest part of this course were the 2 canal crossings on the road. These were small but sharp hills that really disrupted my pace and energy.

Once back in the park for the final kilometre I pushed on to try and keep a fellow runner off my shoulder and really opened up the pace on the final stretch to romp home in 33:09. I don't run 5 mile races very often, but this is the second 5 miler in a couple of months and it is a great distance. next time I'm aiming to get under 33 minutes!

This was a really well organised race, with plenty of marshals, a great goody bag with a pair of running socks, and even a barrel of real ale in the hall for a post race celebrator cup of beer!

Thanks to Nicola for the photo!

http://www.longeatonrunningclub.com/
http://www.derbyrunner.com
http://www.nottinghamrunner.com/

Strava:

No comments:

Post a Comment