Saturday 12 July 2014

Race Review - Crich monument Race - 12th July 2014

This is my second year running at Crich Monument race, so I knew what to expect, and with the weather similar to last year, it was all about the hills and the heat.

Today was my sister's birthday so we headed down to Parkrun in the morning for a nice 5km run with coffee and cola afterwards. A few of the Parkrun regulars were heading up to Crich in the afternoon so there was a nice buzz around the Darley Park cafe in anticipation of the afternoon's main event.

After a light lunch at home and some time to chill out and drink lots of water we headed up to Crich, it was a well attended event with a busy car park and lots of runners and fete goers milling around the streets. We mustered at the start line and awaited the vuvuzela to start the race. From the gun it was a steady up hill climbing out of the village I made may way through a few people but found a steady pack to run with. Once through a few styles and fields the route started its epic descent.

I could run for hours like this. Fast, twisting single track paths with rocks, tree stumps, shrubbery and patches of mud to negotiate. It was stunningly beautiful, very little room for overtaking but the small pack of about 5 or 6 runners were all running at the same flowing pace. It was great fun picking a path when you are right on the shoulder of the runner in front. You have to trust them to make good decisions and keep the pace, because if they suddenly stop or stumble I wont have time to stop myself. Once the excitement of the downhill section abated it was on the long drag of the tow path.

On any other race, this scenic, bridge strew, tow path would be a delight to run on, but today this is the dull drag part of the race, sandwiched between the opening thrill ride descent, and the closing cardiac climbs. Today the flat run didn't seem to long. Probably because I was managing to keep a good pace and take a few positions too. This was great racing, really enjoyable watching the runners exchanging positions and pressing hard to try keep the positions they had worked so hard to get.

Now it gets very serious. Up and over the canal bridge and we are on the way up. A few jokes between runners as we face the first woodland hill climb. It's hard, and the legs are really feeling the pressure, lots of runners are now swapping between running and walking, but never stopping. As the woodland ends and the course opens up onto a grassy hill, and I'm forced to walk. Walking is just as quick as running, and slightly less energy sapping. It's a long demoralising climb, but rewarded with a short downhill burst on the tarmac road. A generous and welcoming home owner stands at the foot of their garden with their hosepipe spraying runners with a cooling shower. This marks the final water station and the final big climb up to the monument its self.

This final uphill slog on a narrow well walked path, flanked on both side with tall grass is tough, but keeping my sights on the giant beacon, as it comes closer and more impressive. Once at the monument I am safe in the knowledge that it is about 1km of downhill and flat roads, fields and churchyards to the finish. I open up my legs and start picking up some speed. I thought I was running pretty quick until a Parkrunner I recognised came blistering down the road at full tilt. I managed to reel him back in on the flat ground and sneaked past him at the churchyard after a little confusion with a gate. Marshals were thick on the ground now, making sure no one takes a wrong turn in the final 800 meters. I still have some energy left and press hard. I'm not going to catch anyone infront of me but I make gain a few seconds on the clock.

I cross the line and feel amazing. What a great race, what an amazing place to finish, right in the middle of a village fete. I take a couple of minutes in the shade to look through the goody bag, with a very tasty beer inside, and a few vouchers, and a bonus t-shirt and extra beer for 'best beard of the day'. I grab some water and then wonder back on to the course to keep a marshal company and cheer on the rest of the runners and wait for Rob and my sister to finish.

Thanks to Dean W's other half for the photo!

http://crichmonumentrace.co.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment