Saturday 26 July 2014

Race Review - Adidas 24 Hour Thunder Run - 26th - 27th July 2014

I arrived on site around 9am, and found our pitch with ease thanks to the huge 'DERWENT RUNNERS' flag waving in the wind. I took 3 seconds to pitch my tent but a bit longer to drag all the crap I brought with me over to the tent. I'm only away for one night but i still manage to bring a whole months worth of 'stuff I'll need'. Once I was set up I put the camping kettle on and made myself and team mate a coffee and waited for the rest of the team to rock up. It should have been a team of 8 but a couple of last minute drop-outs put us in a team of 6.

The rest of the team slowly arrived with 2 of the Team having stopped on the way to sneak in a quick 5K run at the local Parkrun! Nutters! With the team now all assembled we sat out, in the baking sun, on camping chairs, chatting about the running order and tactics. It was a wonderful atmosphere chatting about running with the team and neighbouring campers. As we got closer to the 12pm gun time our first runner got into his gear and we all pottered to the start line to cheer him off, and scope out the transfer area. I was running the 5th leg and by the time it got round to me settling off we where averaging about 1 lap every hour.

Lap 1 - 4pm (49m16s)
It was baking hot when Matt came bounding round the corner, crossed the line and passed on the orange arm band baton, I set off at half decent pace and was cheered on by the teams and supporters who had camped right on the edge of the course. This added so much to the race, such an amazing feeling to have the course go straight through the middle of the camp site. Fellow runners and teams shouting encouragement and support right from the 'go'. The course is a stunning trail run, lots of hills, wooded sections, field sections and even some compacted gravel trails.

I've struggled with a niggle in my knee for a few years and this is always compounded when I run more than once in a day. So I overly concerned about this and didn't put in 100% effort in lap 1 instead I dialled it back to about 75% and just had a great time taking in the scenery and saying hello to all the marshals and congratulating every runner I passed, especially those brave enough to take on the 24 hour solo challenge! I was happy with a sub 50 lap and was even happier to Liz waiting in the transfer area, keen to get her run under way. with the baton snapped to her wrist she set off, and I headed back to camp to compare note with the rest of the team.

I didn't bother with any sleep in this slot between laps, instead i cooked some beans and chatted with the team and went out to cheer them off. The day was starting to cool down nicely and with an hour to go before my second lap I did some final stretches, checked my head torch and generally pottered about with a slight nervous energy.

Lap 2 - 10pm (1h05m53s)
I grabbed MORT (Mudstacle Obstacle Racing Tyre) and headed off to the transfer area to wait for Matt. There were quite a few 'Are you running with a tyre?' comments, and 'Why are you running with a tyre?'. Simple answers are yes, and I want to get better at 'carry' obstacles at races so this is great training for me. As Matt swept round the final corner he spotted me and the tyre snapped the baton on my arm and I was off. Running with a car tyre is pretty hard work on the shoulders but it is amazing training, It get sore and uncomfortable so i had to swap it from shoulder to shoulder and occasionally carry down my my hip. The wooded, tree root strewn sections at night where amazing. It took a huge amount of focus and rapid adjustments so get through safely. I love trail running and I think I love it even more at night.

The added weight of the tyre became a real burden at the 7km mark and hills forced me to a walking pace. Even though it was almost 11pm the heat was stifling and exhausting, the final push in the final kilometre was a really slog. But it was great to pass on the baton, drop the tyre, and roll her back to camp. I sat with the team back at camp as we chatted under the stars and glowing camp light for a while discussing all manor of random stories and adventures. I managed to get a couple of hours sleep in before my next lap but there was so much movement and noise through the camp site with people returning and setting off it wasn't the greatest sleep.

Lap 3 - 4am (58m07s)
The sky was turning a dark blue when I headed off the the transfer area, and I was hopeful of seeing a sunrise in my third lap. We had a few down pours in the early ours and it was still lightly raining as Matt swung around the final corner. Luckily he spotted me as all I could see was blinding head torches. I set off into the drizzle with my body still feeling broken from carrying the tyre and not enough rest. But it was good fun to be out on the trails again. The hills still hurt but it was balanced by hearing the birds singing their dawn chorus in the wooded sections and the delicate dark blue skys when out in the open sections. This was such a beautiful time of day to run. I didn't catch the sunrise but skies were stunning. I could of happily plodded out a second lap, but I had to pass the baton on to my awaiting team mate.

back at camp, team mates were milling around still and chatting. I was exhausted so had a catchup and some food before getting a few hours kip.

Lap 4 - 10am (51m00s)
I was up and about with a few hours to spare for this one as the sun was up and baking, everyone was chatting around the camp, so I joined in and had some breakfast. We had slightly fallen below the 1 hour average per lap, but were still on target for 24 laps which meant allthe runners will run 4 laps, which equates to a distance just shy of a marathon for us all (apart from the parkrunners!).

I left the transfer area around 10:30am which meant I had just under 90 minutes to get round before the cut off and let Liz complete her final lap. I felt pretty strong and freash for this lap and was running well. I walked for a while with a mate who was on his 16th lap in the solo category. He was hurting but in great spirits, and still managing to break into a jog. I had some Cliff Bloks with me which helped keep up the energy levels, and I managed to run the entire course apart from choosing to walk to chat with fellow runners and walkers. When I got to the final hill, which was quickly named 'PARTY HILL' as lots of people gathered here to cheer on the runners, and push them into a run up the final hill. I sprinted up the hill for the crowds and nearly coughed up a lung when I was safely out of sight. I mad it round in just over 50 minutes which allowed Liz to run her final lap. The team gathered on party hill and cheered all the runners as they came past. When Liz came into sight we all joined her for the final 500 metres and crossed the line as a team.

This is an amazing event, and incredible course, with an amazing atmosphere, facilities and organisation. I can't wait to come back ad do this again. The team I was in was great fun and never missed a transition. It was very funny watching runners come in, and not be able to see their next runner. Shouting their name became increasingly funny when other runners joined in the calls. My favourite moment was in the night time transfer and a runner came in shouting
"DAVE"
"DAVE"
Dave replied: "STEVE"
Steve: "Dave"
They were homing in on each other voices through the dark.
Dave: "Steve"
Steve: "Dave"
and then someone in the crowded darkness shouted
"I Love you"

This moment summed up the event for me. Light hearted fun with some serious running in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment