Friday 20 June 2014

Race Review - Hairy Helmet - 20th June 2014

The Hairy Helmet Real Ale Realy. Is one of my favourite summer races, it brings together the local running community from the super quick club runners, to the marathon runners, to the obstacle course runners, fell runners, Parkrun'rs, fun runners, and every type In-between.

The format is a simple 4 x '2 and a bit mile' relay you enter your team of 4 and you each complete a lap, passing over the timing baton at the Start/Finish line. It's a great format that is incredibly inclusive and friendly. Most runners bring their families and friends down, as there is always a BBQ, beer and someone to cheer on.

I had managed to get on two teams this year, one for my family and one for my running club, Team Derby Runner, after injury stopped one of the TDR runners competing. But my mate tried to enter to late and couldn't get his team in. So he took my spot in my family team at the last minute.

So I was now just running the third leg, for my TDR team, I watch my teams mates and friends set off in wave 1 and and took some time to do a little stretching and taking on water and then went over with my stepson to the change over area, and stood in wait to watch him set off. Once Izaak had gone out of site I joined the melee of waiting running craning their neck to spot their team-mate come round the corner.

I was lucky as my team mate has a shock of bright red hair, Rob rounded the corner looking focused and running well. I shout and wave to help guide him into the change over area, I start to jog away as Ron Weasley firmly puts the baton in my hand just before I cross the line and start my lap. I latch on to two club runners from Sinfin and Heanor, who are setting a really good pace and we battle together swapping position almost constantly for the first mile. This first mile has all the uphill sections and you start to feel that rancid metallic taste in your mouth as you try to maintain the pace up the steeper sections. I manage to pull away on the downhill section but the enthusiasm and increased speed is short lived. As we hit the flatter final mile one of the guys pulls away a 20 meter advantage, and I don't have the legs or lungs to bridge the gap.

As I enter the meadow area of the park you can see the finish line and have about 800m left to run. The crowds and marshals are incredibly supportive and encouraging. With only 400m to go I try to step up the pace and empty the tank and gain an extra few seconds, I spot Jordan in the sea of runners, waiting for the baton in their hand. I pass the baton on and watch Jordon smoothly run off at a blistering pace. I duck under the course tape and bent double try and regain my vision, breathing and stability. This isn't a short race, isn't a medium distance, definitely not a long race.

The distance of this race, means you can't sprint it all, but you have to taste blood in your mouth, running much faster than you would like to, and right on the edge of vomiting. But it is over pretty quickly and the atmosphere and event is outstanding, an amazing BBQ and a free beer for every entrant. After my run I chilled with the family and friends, and spent another hour eating hot dogs, drinking the splendid beer and chatting to lots of other runners who are passionate about the local running community.

Huge thanks to the teams involved

Website: http://www.hairyhelmetrelay.co.uk/
Organisers: http://www.derwentrunners.co.uk/
Beer: http://www.derventiobrewery.co.uk/
My Team: http://www.derbyrunner.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment