Saturday 28 June 2014

Race Review - Belper Harriers Derwent River Relays - 28th June 2014

I love the fact that i can see part of this course from my front room. This was a truly unmissable race for me, and was stoked when Team Derby Runner put in 2 teams for this one. Because this race is very civilised, one has time for a hearty breakfast, a Parkrun, a healthy lunch, and still have time for a little light gardening before things kick off at 2:30pm.

I wondered over the road, met up with the team and pottered around chatting and generally larking about before the race. I was given the task of bringing our male vets team home and running the 4th and final leg of the 4 x 5000m relay. We watched the leg 1 runners head off, some practically leaving burn marks on the rugby field as they scotched off the line. Those of us not in the first couple of legs continued our chatting and glanced at our watches as the first runners came back onto the field for the hand overs. Knowing looks and appreciation of those whippets charging in, clocking up 15/16 minute times where made around the watching runners along with rapturous applause and cheering.

Once our third leg runner had been out 10 minutes or so I waited at the hand over area, eagerly awaiting the sight of the blue and white vest of Team Derby Runner. As he he came running round the final bend running strongly, the marshal readied me, and held his arm across the line. As Wesley crossed the line, the marshal instructed me to "go", and I headed off for a pacey lap of the rugby fields.

The lap round the rugby fields was a nice flat warm up, before getting a little more rural, as the course went behind the local supermarket on to open meadow meadow land were the long grasses whipped your legs as you ran past, passing was a bit tricky due to the narrow paths cut out by hundreds of dog walkers over the years. It was a pleasant run, and I was pushing myself to try and keep up a 4 minute, kilometre pace. The run is great taking in heart of Belpers sporting heritage, passing the Belper Meadows cricket club, Belper Hockey club, Belper Meadows Tennis Club, and Belper Town Football club. A quick run on the roads before a sharp turn back on the trails.

This route takes me on my regular training run route, I love it, running along side the beautiful river Derwent, lined with a huge variety of trees and bushes, the paths are flat and well maintained. You can here the crowds an
d runners on the other side of the river as you pass the rugby club. Wonderful marshals hold open a kissing gate that would have been a real pain to navigate, and brought all the runners to a complete stop. A quick jog up some steps and i'm running over the river bridge that usual signifies the start of my warm down and trot back to my front door. But I have to keep up the pace and keep pushing all the back to the Rugby club.

I overtake a runner as I enter the finishing area and try to put on a sprint finish for my team mates. I cross the line, stop my watch, and try to recover, the marshalls at the finsh direct me to water, bananas and a cup cake! once i've inhaled the gorgeous little spongy delicacy and taken on some water, i look down and see my time was 19:50. YES. My first sub 20 minute 5km and on a tricky mixed terrain course with styles, steps, sharp corners. But on closer inspection my GPS recorded the course a little under 5km and my pace was 4:05 minute kilometres. I am still really happy with my speed and couldn't have run any harder on the day, so i'm super happy with my result.

Hats off to Belper Harriers for putting on such a great event!
https://belperharriers.wordpress.com



No comments:

Post a Comment