Saturday 5 October 2013

Race Review - Endurer Dash - 5th October 2013

Me and the big man from Mudstacle
Me and the big man from Mudstacle
Having had an incredibly bizarre evening in the company with Pete from Mudstacle in my local pub which involved; a sneaky beer, pork pie, watching an old man try, and make a spectacular fail of a one handed handstand in the pub and beating my posh mate at Chess. This wasn't your usual pre-race preparation. but Endurer isn't your usual 8km race either.

Pete and I rocked up, registered, chatted with a few other racers which I recognized from other races, and a those that recognized the beard, and came over to say hello. It was a very friendly start to the day and ran it to a great guy who I hadn't seen for a couple of years and was a great surprise to see him here. I missed the warm up as I was chatting too much and when the air horn went I was still milling about right at the back of the wave. I both love and hate the start of this race, the opening 500 meters is all up the steepest hill on the course, it is a real lung buster and leg burner, but such a great challenge.

Running hard at Endurer
Running hard at Endurer
This must be my 4th or 5th time running the Endurer Dash, and this year I was determined to RUN every step and not let the hills force me to walk, the first wasn't too much of an issue, and it thinned out the wave pretty well. After hills my 2nd biggest nemesis is log / sandbag carries. I can't do anymore than walk when carrying a sandbag (next time I'll RUN the sandbag carry). Once i had handed over the sandbag, it was the best part of the course, the ravine run, running through ferns and brambles down to a small stream and running through the stream before quick clamber out and over a series of horse fences.

It was then back in the bracken carpeted woods for stunning trail running and a rope assisted descent and ascent into and out of a steep valley, once out of the valley came the number 1 nemesis, a killer, steep hill which I have never had the legs or lungs to run up, but today was the day, I plodded on and chugged past a few walkers who cheered me on, and a couple of guys who advised to save my energy and walk. Those guys were probably right, but this was my goal, my mission and I was going to 'endure'. Towards the top of this cardiac hill the course is over slick wet grass but I knew the end was insight, and when I get to the tree line, we have a downhill trail run. When I made it to the trees, I was stoked, I pumped my fist and had conquered my nemesis. I was shattered and had only ran about 3km with another grueling 5km to go.

Clearing the tires at Endurer
Clearing the tires at Endurer
The middle section of Endurer is an epic trail run through hilly marshland, hilly farmland, and hilly woodland, broken up with swamps a tunnel crawl, and some steep scrambles. The tire climb over wall marks the start of the final section where obstacles start to come thick and fast. I love the climbing wall a-frame, this is such a great twist on the classic a-frame obstacle. the wall is great too. The new position of the monkey bars was a killer. Climbing up giant steps to be presented with long ladder to monkey across was absolutely draining, i couldn't run when I landed, I could barely walk, it took 20 or 30 secs before I mustered, enough energy back to carry on running, before being hit with the pond.

Looking like Jesus, but still can't walk on water
Looking like Jesus, but still can't walk on water
The water dip was bloody freezing but as always, I took a running leap, safe in the knowledge the water is deep enough to be over enthusiastic. I quick swim and it was plodding up hills time again. I just couldn't run this hill, I just didn't have the energy or power for this one, I was slightly comforted by the fact that no one else was running this hill either. once at the top it was a the final half km of hay bales, one of the greatest water slides, steep, fast and covered in fairy liquid. I took a running leap and landed heavy on my hip but it was too much fun t worry about an extra bruise. once back on my feet it was a hard sprint to finish line.

An incredible race, I was slightly disappointing with my time. Forcing my self to run up the entire cardiac hill, was a pretty bad tactic, but I'm super stoked I managed to run it, and I know that next year, I can CHOOSE to walk or run it!

www.endurerevents.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment