Sunday 20 October 2013

Race Review - Derby Runner Cross Country League - Foremark - 20th October 2013

Having ran my first cross country race yesterday at Markeaton park, I knew what to expect when I arrived and spent the pre-race time pottering around, which a few stretchers and watching the other runners. Again I ran into a few fellow Team Derby Runner members and stood around chatting. As the runners began to muster at the start line people naturally found their correct starting position. As the health and safety I found my self standing behind a tree. Maybe not the best tactical move. When the 'Go' was shouted I found a nice clear path through the low hanging branches of the tree which my fellow runners were running around. I ended up about mid way in the pack and being dragged along at a pace which felt quite quick. My hamstrings were still very sore and tight from yesterday but I was moving so I hoped they would loosen up soon enough.

The first part of the course was pretty flat and open, but it didn't thin out a lot, we were still running at least 2 a breast after the first 10 minutes. Once into the wooded area the route became hillier and when we left the cover of the trees it became very steep and slippery, luckily the descent wasn't too slippery but i still took a very wide route at the bottom of the hill to avoid landing on my ass. After a another few minor ups and downs there was a long hard slog uphill. This slowed me to walk, but i managed to pick up the pace on the long flat drag back towards the start/finish area. Just before the finish line there was a great swooping downhill section that allowed you to carry heaps of speed through the finish line and the start pf the second lap.

The runners, were equally friendly here as they were yesterday at Markeaton, and I chatted with a few guys as they passed me or I passed them. The slippy hills killed me once again on the second lap and I lost a lot of places here. but on the long drag to the finishing swoop I managed to hold off all but one other runners and picked up the pace. I got into a decent rhythm along this path and the last female runner I overtook decided she wasn't going to make my life easy and stuck on my shoulder, I tried to push harder and shake her off, but I couldn't. As we left the flat long path and reached the final downhill swoop she received huge cheers from the crowd and overtook me on the descent. Turns out I'm not the charming, chivalrous man, that my mum thinks I am. I dropped the hammer with about 70 or 80 meters to go and retook the lead and kept it all the way to the line. I was decent enough to turn and thank the lady for pushing me hard in the last 300 meters.

Another great race, great atmosphere, and stunning course. The hardest thing was limping back to the car with incredibly sore legs.

http://www.derbyrunnerleague.co.uk/

Thanks to
http://www.derbyrunner.com/
http://www.nottinghamrunner.com/
for the photos and great support.

No comments:

Post a Comment