Sunday 1 March 2015

Race Review - The Derby Runner XC League - Race6 Holly Hayes Wood - 1st Mar 2015

With our usual team captain pulling out last minute with flu, I said i would help out and bring my pop up tent so we would have some where covered to leave our kit and a meeting point. I thought it would be best to get there early to set up and be ready for the rest of the team arriving. It was a good job I had arrived early as it was a good 10 minute walk from the cap park to the event village.

Once the tent was set up and tethered to a nearby tree I stood around drinking coffee until the familiar faces arrived and we got chatting and preparing for the race. It was fairly windy but still quite warm and dry, so everyone was looking forward to a good race. As it got closer to 11 am we had all striped down to racing kit and hovered around the PA system awaiting instructions.

Under direction we plodded 50 metres down the hill to the start line ready for a muddy uphill sprint start. The pack today was for both men and women and everyone was in good spirits, laughing at mud squelching and runners slowly sinking as we waited for the gun.

As the gun went we racing uphill for a 100 metres, I managed to to take an outside line and raced through the pack struggling with the slimy mud. into the first corner and things settled down quite quickly on the wide hard packed path trail. We soon swapped the hard trail for a woodland track which was narrow with patches of thick mud and ankle grabbing roots. A quick dash through a steam and we had completed the first 'small' lap, with a 'medium' and 'large' lap left to go.

I was feeling good and strong and happily picking off the odd runner. The medium lap started with a small hill but I managed to keep the power on, and cruised up the hill. The climb was worth all the added pain, as the following descent was on narrow paths littered with rocks, turns, fallen trees, and exposed tree roots, this was wonderful running, fast and technical that required strong focus and confidence. I loved it. As we left the woods over a different part of the stream we had a short section round the edge of a sodden grass field. This was incredibly energy sapping and brought my pace right down. The end of the grassy field marked the end of the 'medium' lap and the start of the final 'large' lap.

The final lap was great but I was loosing the odd position and had to work hard to not drop too many places. The route was familiar as we following parts we had already ran along, the hill seemed steeper the second time round, but I kept my pace up, the woodland section was just as much fun, belting through the single track dodging rocks and muds. The second time I hit the grassy field, my legs felt like lead and was a real struggle to keep running. As the finish line came into sight I had 2 guys in front of me and it was time to empty the tank and see if i could handle a 200 metre sprint. First guy was taken early on but the second guy was going to be harder work and closer. I was pushing as hard as I could but line was getting closer and closer, with only a couple of metres to go I managed to get past and cross the line just ahead of him.

It would have been nice to celebrate my mini victory but I could barely stand up after the hard sprint finish. luckily I managed to recover pretty quick and wondered over to the team tent, for some water and sugary snacks. I caught up with other runners who had finished and clapped in those that followed. This has been a great race and a great league, shame it has to end.

Strava:
Thanks to:
http://www.derbyrunnerleague.com/
SL Images
http://www.hermitageharriers.co.uk/

Kit:
Shoes: Inov8 X-Talon 200
Socks: MoreMile Running Socks
Shorts: Nike Dry Fit
Top: Team Derby Runner Vest (Ron Hill)
Watch: Polar RC3 GPS

No comments:

Post a Comment