Thursday 1 January 2015

Race Review - Holly Bush Fun Run - 1st Jan 2015

This race is a 10 minute run from my house. But after a 4am finish at a new years eve party and a 6am wake up call from the little 'un. I was feeling pretty ropey so called on the generosity of my mate who had stayed over at our house, and he dropped me off at the race on his way home. It was already pretty busy at the pub car park, with people limbering up and chatting about how mince pies and chocolates they had eaten since their last run.

Once everyone had registered and had their races numbers we all gathered just outside the pub. Humorous and informative warnings and instructions given about the conditions underfoot, the route and how to claim your finishers reward. The race was then start with a very large shotgun fired into the air. This stunned the racers who where still milling around at the back, and ejected the front runners from a standing stance to full pace running.

The start was a great uphill narrow trail, I was fairly near the front but was still keen to push hard early on and fought past a few runners. I was feeling surprisingly light on feet and going at a decent pace. Turns out late night drinking and early morning crying babies is in fact a great preparation for racing!

Oh wait. That breath tasted a little like that obscure Hungarian spirit we bought on holiday a few years back because it had a funny bottle and an amusing name. Oooo that bottled dark black 7% porter does lie heavy on the stomach. Yes, Czech lagers are very fizzy and provide a lot of gas. Yes home made rhubarb vodka, sloe gin, raspberry vodka are all very tasty little tipples but do make you head swim a little.

I have no idea what gave me the energy and inflated sense of heroism for the 1st km, but as soon as I started the road climb, everything went wrong. All I could do was focus on was trying to keep contents of my stomach where they should be, a heady mixture of drinks, twiglets and cocktail sausages was now sloshing around. I managed not to break into a walk but just plodded on, watching other runners cruise past. The top of the hill was such a welcome site, a few families gathered at the top of the hill to cheer on the plucky runners. I usually thank everyone that claps or cheers me on, but I wasn't in the mood for cheeriness, and swearing at perfectly polite and cheery spectators wouldn't be a great start to the year, so I chose a vow of silence instead. Once back on the trails, I was back in my element and took advantage of super grippy trail shoes and pushed hard for the final downhill kilometre. I managed to over take a few nervous runners in road shoes, a few slippery steps brought me back within sight of the pub. I very happily knocked on the front door of the pub (If you don't knock on the door, you don't get a time).

Once I had clapped in the rest of runners, I went inside and collected my finishers reward which is a stunning half pint glass, with the event details etched on the side!

I'm never drinking again!
Well not drinking again in January
Well not drinking in January apart from the Hockey Team's Christmas Party
Well not drinking in January apart from the Hockey Team's Christmas Party and the trip to Ireland.

http://www.hollybushinnmakeney.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment