Sunday 6 April 2014

Race Review - Derby 10k - 6th April 2014

2 races in a weekend seemed like a good idea when i signed up for them. Saturday was a 12km obstacle course with hills, rivers, mud and barbedwire. So Sunday's 10km flat(ish) road race should be a breeze. But the problem is that I'm becoming more and more competitive, and more obsessed with a sub 40 minute 10 km. So I've been training, not just pottering off for a run, but real, actual training. So I knew this was going to be a lung buster. I knew I was going to have to spend between 40 and 45 minutes pushing my self as hard as I could.

Being part of Team Derby Runner is great, the team president organises team parking, and facilities for us to leave our bags, relax pre and post race, and even get a massage. During the pre race chatting and "so, what time are you aiming for?", I found a few guys that are also looking and hitting the 40 minute mark. So it was great to have a few buddies to easily spot and try and keep pace with. Once we were in our starting pens, the banter started, especially when we realised how close to very front elite runners we were. Funniest line heard was "bloody hell, we're starting right behind the Kenyans". A five minute gap was given after the elite wheel chair racers went off, and then the gun went for main 10 km race.

As I set off I spotted a fellow team mate who is a 40 minute man, and he hadn't bolted off the line, but was running at a nice steady pace. AWESOME, I kept close to his shoulder and resisted my usual urge to sprint off the line. 50 metres in and this felt great, all I have to do is keep this up for another 950 metres. after about 1500 metres I was still close to my pacer and exchanging places with another team mate of similar ability, as we reached the city centre and roughly 4 kilometers my target was opening up a decent gap, I just didn't have the legs to keep up this pace, but was still tussling with other team mate, but soon he too pulled past and put a 200 metre gap between us.

I was soon joined by a third team mate around the water stations at the 7km mark, but I was going to make it hard for him to pass me, so I pushed harder tried to keep my slim lead. I then got a sense of deja vu, I've battled with this guy before. He's the dude with the red '50 Parkrun' t-shirt I've played this game with at a few park runs at Darley park. We battled, (well I say 'we', he was probably just running his own race, and it  only me that had an inner dialogue of us fighting for position) exchanging leads up to the final kilometre and he managed to find an extra gear and pulled away. It was too little too late, as I hit the final 400 meters and started my sprint finish. It was a hard race and i was happy-ish with 42m44s, as it was a personal best, but I was hoping to be closer to 40 than 45.

Just mean I have to train harder.

Huge thanks to everyone at http://www.derbyrunner.com/ and RW for the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment